Monday, April 18, 2011

"It's been such a pretty day."

I spent the weekend visiting my sister and BIL.  On Saturday we down to the coast and visited the Texas State Aquarium, which was surprisingly awesome.  We saw all sorts of crazy fish, petted sting rays, met a giant female turtle named Einstein, saw a dolphin show, and realized that the price of Dippin' Dots has only increased 50 cents in the last 7 years.


The aquarium was right on the coast, the sun was out, and it was neither too hot nor too cold.  I loved seeing the waves lap up on the shore and feeling the wind whip through my hair as we walked around outside.  In the evening, after we'd returned home and had dinner, we all stepped outside to enjoy the sunset.  That's when I thought, "It's been such a pretty day."


View of the sunset from my sister and brother-in-law's front porch.


One of the American phrases that the Kiwi Flatmate finds peculiar but charming is, "It's a pretty day."  To her a day is nice or beautiful, but never pretty.  That's pretty funny to me.  I too refer to days as nice or beautiful on occasion, but it depends on the level of prettiness.  The Kiwi Flatmate and I decided that:
1.  A day that is somewhat pretty is a nice day.
2.  A day that is pretty, but not extraordinary is a pretty day.
3.  A day has to be pretty pretty in order for it to be a beautiful day.


Signed,
American Roomie

No comments:

Post a Comment