Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Buying Books: The Untold Story...Now told

Kiwifruit is green and so is the Kiwi Flatmate.



A couple of weeks ago, I told the Kiwi Flatmate and the Jamerican that I was going to purchase a book to read.  I was dying to get my hands on American Idol: The Untold Story.  Just as I was about to click "Place Your Order" on Amazon, they both went nuts!  "Why purchase the book?"  "Why not check it out from the library or get it in a book swap?"  "Think of what I was doing to the environment!"  "Killing extra trees for no reason!"  

Plus, I think they might have truly believed that because the book was about a reality television show it would actually do more harm to the environment.  "That's nothing but rubbish," the Kiwi Flatmate cried.  "Any book that has 'The Untold Story' as its subtitle has to be rubbish."  A quick Amazon search seemed to support her theory.  I won't be reading The Untold Story of Milk, Revised and Updated - The History, Politics and Science of Nature's Perfect Food:  Raw Milk from Pasture-Fed Cows anytime soon.  

Nevertheless, I'd had my eye on the American Idol book for a while and really wanted to read it.  I was skeptical that the university library, though extensive, would carry the book (it didn't), and I didn't think it was the kind of reading that is typical of book swap websites (it wasn't).  In the end, I settled for getting a used copy from Amazon.  



It arrived in great condition last Thursday.  This picture is slightly yellow, which is what you'd expect with the weird indoor lighting.  Still, I would have expected that used books would be green.

Signed,
American Roomie

No comments:

Post a Comment