Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Canned Spaghetti Pie and a Country Without Pizza

We eat a lot of pizza at The Red Door.  Last week, there were 2 pizzas delivered here.  Then we got a notification from our property managers that they have secured a deal with a local pizza company giving us 25% off any order on Mondays.  Enter pizza number 3.  



While waiting for the delivery, the Kiwi Flatmate told the Jamerican and I about how growing up her mum would make pizza by baking dough covered with canned spaghetti and mozzarella cheese.  I suggested that we make it one night.  That was quickly vetoed.  The Kiwi Flatmate said it wasn't very delicious.  I guess it's just one of those things that you ate when you were little but that you kind of want to forget.  Like bites of straight butter.  Or raw hot dogs.  (My mom denies it to this day, but when my sister and I were little, if we asked for a snack before dinner, she'd sometimes give us a raw hot dog.)


I asked the Jamerican what kind of pizza she ate growing up, and she said they don't eat pizza in Jamaica.  I didn't believe her at first.  Maybe this was her version of a drop bear, but evidently, it's just not a thing there.  It's hard for me to imagine a life without pizza.  What would you eat at slumber parties?  How would you learn about fractions?!


A quick internet search turned up the site www.lifewithoutpizza.com.  I immediately wondered if it was about Jamaica.  Nope.  It's a blog about a guy who gave up pizza for lent.  Each post describes how much he would like to eat pizza.  Now that Easter has arrived, he can snarf his favorite food again.  It's a good thing that guy doesn't live in Jamaica.  


Signed,
American Roomie

No comments:

Post a Comment