Monday, May 2, 2011

New Zealand -> American Dictionary: Jandals

Last week, I quizzed you all about the Kiwi meaning of the word "jandals."  Here were the results:  


50% of the respondents were correct!  Jandals are a New Zealand word for flip-flops.  I had no clue when I first heard the Kiwi Flatmate use it, but it makes sense.  After all, it's only one letter off from sandals.  I dig the word and will start to incorporate it into my vocabulary.  I can't say the same thing for the term thongs.  I looked up some other names for flip-flops/jandals.  Can you match them with their respective country or region?

Term                       Country
Slops                       South Pacific
Chinelo                    South Africa
Zories                      Greece 
Go-aheads                U.S. (East Coast)
Sayonares                Brazil

Leave your responses in a comment below.

Signed,
American Roomie

1 comment:

  1. In Australia we call then thongs, laugh all you like, it's what they're called. :)

    ReplyDelete